Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Room of My Own

"A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is going to write fiction . . ."
~Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own


For the last year and a half--ever since the boyfriend and I moved in together--the living room couch and coffee table have acted as my work space. This is where I not only pay bills and do paperwork but perform all my writing--articles, books, and just playing around with story ideas. Our apartment has two bedrooms, but I insisted that the boyfriend take the second bedroom as his "office" (really it's his game room). He's a computer geek and I love him dearly for it (especially when my computer begins to misbehave) but that also means he has got a bunch of heavy technical books, random cords and spare parts. He spends his free time playing video games, watching youtube videos and anime, and doing a bunch of other stuff that would drive me crazy if I had to listen to it all day long. Him having his own room (along with each of us having our own separate bathroom) has done wonders for our relationship. However, I work from home. I do a lot of writing. Though most of this takes place on a laptop, I still somehow accumulate an enormous amount of paper. I have books I regularly reference. Plus, I'd like to enjoy my living room as a place to relax--not work. I would really love to have my own home office.
But a room of my own is not going to happen any time soon. I have thought about cramming a desk in the dining area or bedroom, but the dining area is already a little tight with the kitchen table and buffet table. The bedroom has plenty of extra space, but it's our sanctuary. I'd hate to disturb the zen vibe in there by bringing in my work and clutter.

Today I had an epiphany. The apartment has a ton of closet storage and we don't come close to using it all. I could turn one of the closets into my work space. A small desk, a cork board, maybe a small bookcase or at least some shelves and I'd be all set to go. I could get my work done then close the space off and relax in the living room. So the search for a desk has begun.

Just something small, simple and sweet . . .

And chairs . . .

Finding a desk with a small enough width to fit in the closet may prove to be a challenge, but I am determined to have my own work space!

Sweet dreams,

          Krissy

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea! Good luck hunting for the perfect pieces to make it a cozy, productive space!

    ReplyDelete